New Dilemmas for Institutional Religion

Posted in Uncategorized by Paul M. Dohse Sr. on November 7, 2017

After the recent shooting massacre in Texas (First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs), there is little doubt that churches will have to add another accessory in order to recommend themselves; armed security, otherwise known as a “security team.” They will have to add that to the “worship team,” the “leadership team,” and many other teams that make up a church’s repertoire of selling points.

But there are other things to think about that will escape most parishioners. Though I would never step foot in a Protestant temple for any reason, I can give some helpful advice to those who for some reason find comfort in the fusion of faith and authority. Indeed, armed security is important, a must, but more than likely, most churches will have armed security for the sake of being able to say they have it.

In other words, it will be parishioners who have obtained conceal carry permits, but rarely visit the range for target or tactical practice. In addition, these are unlikely participants in advanced firearm training. If there is an unfortunate event, this reality simply increases your chances of being shot by multiple sources instead of one.

But even if a church has qualified security, and the “teams” you like to see, there is yet another consideration; do they have formal counseling? If you attend a church that does formal counseling, more than likely, they will be supplying counsel for volatile domestic situations which places the congregation at very high risk. As a former elder in a Reformed Baptist church, I can tell you we frequently counseled in situations that put the congregation at risk. And of course, they were unaware of this.

1. John said, on November 8, 2017 at 8:08 AM

I hope people are taking notes, Paul. Find the body of Christ, not Calvin’s building. One has life; one has death. Your choice.

Let me repeat something: The ACBC is more dangerous than weapons in the hands of untrained fools.

2. Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on November 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Just one of many stories I’m seeing in my newsfeed the last few days:

• John said, on November 8, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Andy, I read your link, and this paragraph stopped me in my tracks like a silver bullet from a .357 Magnum in the forehead:

“The scriptures make it clear that Jesus has issued a very quotable directive that we are to arm ourselves with the tools and machinery of lethal force,” said Geoff Peabody.

Huh? In which book does Jesus tell us how to shoot and clean our guns? I dunno, but it smells somewhat like James White’s Muslim brothers’ excuse, eh? You are reading between my lines, I know.

Or maybe it’s in the Apocrypha in the book “Fire Away,” and under the chapter “Caring for your semi-automatic weapons, one bullet at a time.”

Home fellowship. Lovely, safe, real family.

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on November 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head, too. Closest thing I can think of that he might be referencing is putting on the whole armor of God. Ok, so lets take a metaphor for spiritual warfare and allegorize it to mean whatever we want it to mean….just like a good Calvinist.

• John said, on November 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Yes, you’re right; rape scripture until it fits their fake theology. I have even seen a bumper sticker: “Jesus would carry a gun; why won’t you?”

Well, I reckon getting the Gospel to the lost is slightly more important. Living out God’s love is also more important. Peabody would turn around and skedaddle down the tracks if he saw what is happening in the spiritual realm.Here where I stay, the lost people need the Gospel and the Calvinists need it too. Someone once said that only people who can’t hear, write, or speak turn to weapons. I get that now.

Blessings, Andy, always good talking to you. Trust you and your wonderful family are doing swell.

3. Susan said, on November 8, 2017 at 7:53 PM

I am not sure if I posted this here or not in a past article. If I did, please bear with me. Within the last year, I had a dream. A nightmare. I was in a church building during the Sunday morning service. As the people were singing a hymn, a group of armed men (four, maybe five) in military fatigues/ camouflage entered the church. They locked all of the doors and began to annihilate every living thing in that sanctuary. They did not stop until nothing was left moving or breathing. I awakened crying out, chilled and shaking — unable to sleep.

But my dream didn’t stop there. I related my dream to a good Christian friend. She asked me the details. I told her. She then proceeded to tell me that she, herself, had had that same dream/ almost like a vision. When this shooting happened in Texas, she called me. What happened there wasn’t the same as what happened in my dream, but I truly believe Sunday’s massacre is just a beginning. There will be more of these shootings. The next level is armed militia and terrorist style attacks. It will happen. I believe my dream was a warning.

Oh yes, indeed, home fellowship. Lovely, safe, real family.

• John said, on November 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Susan, what a nightmare. Oh, there have been numerous attacks like these the world over. In a certain country, gunmen carrying assault rifles entered the evening service of a Church of England church, started shooting and randomly tossed hand grenades into the crowd. And this happened in a so-called civilized country.

Every attack has a different motive, as you can imagine; but I understand what you are saying just too well. You must have witnessed how “ordinary” people can turn into stark-raving lunatics when behind a steering wheel of a vehicle…now imagine to which levels of barbarism people would escalate when given guns and asked to perform a particular “job.” I think your nightmarish vision kind of answers that.

Have peace, Susan, that peace that transcends human understanding.

Blessings.

4. Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on November 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Here’s the latest in my newsfeed.
    You gotta LOVE the statement from this pastor at the end of the article. So typical!

• John said, on November 9, 2017 at 1:27 PM

“God is in control.”

So why even bother taking a gun to “church”? Do these people even realize how idiotic they sound when they say “God is in control”?

• Susan said, on November 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM

This is where prayer comes in handy. We can pray for smooth and even pulling of the trigger. We can pray for correct form and stance. We can pray for calmness and determination. We can pray to not compensate for the recoil of the weapon. We can pray to make the very best use of each bullet in the magazine. We can pray for accuracy. We can pray to reload quickly. And we can add “if it be thy will” and “in Jesus name” at the end.

It would be funny if it weren’t so deadly serious. Next up: Bring Your Gun to Church Sunday. Followed by “Mom’s Day Out on the Range” complete with manicure and make-over (and a few Bible verses for inspiration).

5. Martin said, on November 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM

“Is this just another post suggesting more reasons why church is not only spiritually impractical and counterproductive, but dangerous?”

Good post!