Redemptive-Historical Interpretation of Reality Makes Presidential Elections Irrelevant

Posted in Uncategorized by Andy Young, PPT contributing editor on October 14, 2016

Those who hold to a redemptive-historical interpretation of scripture also unwittingly hold to a redemptive-historical interpretation of ALL of reality.  Such an interpretation is rationally inconsistent with regard to reality itself.  You cannot on the one hand talk about “God’s redemptive drama” and then on the other hand suggest that you have any say in the matter by any pretense of “choice”.  The cognitive dissonance created by such duplicity is the reason why so many have rejected authentic protestant orthodoxy.

Andy

Addendum 10/17/2016: New comments in the Facebook thread have been added below.

eric-rea-rhh-and-electioneric-rea-rhh-and-election-02eric-rea-rhh-and-election-03 eric-rea-rhh-and-election-04

1. John said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Andy, do you have any “friends” left on Facebook? 🙂

“Redemptive drama” is most probably the most insane and ridiculous thing I have heard; well, all week. It’s hard to believe (wait, almost impossible to believe) that the Reas came up with that nonsense all by themselves. The irritating progressive justification hashtag #PreachingToMyself explains the whole thing, doesn’t it? The whole “feel” of their post reminds of the “Gospel” Project you guys discussed recently on PPT; you know, the idea that every verse in the Bible points to Jesus, even, I suppose, Song of Songs, chapter 7:1, “How beautiful your sandaled feet, O prince’s daughter!” Or could that be talking of Hillary Clinton? Don’t know; don’t want to know under these dubious circumstances.

At least the Reas have given you their blessing and permission to vote; you should feel honored, Andy, as long as your story is the same as His (I don’t know what that means) and as long as you know that there are tools to display the glory of His loyal love to His people (I also don’t know what that means).

I think only John Piper (said with respect because he is older than I am), who cannot write anything sensible, never mind anything grammatically correct more or less, might understand the Reas dramatic, self-involved, imperious nothingness. As long as we all know that we are mere puppets, and as long as we know our story is not about America. Good heavens! America?

So, research carefully (another command from the Reas), and then go and cast your vote that, according to the Reas, has already been cast in eternity past, which, come to think of it, will make this election an unfair farce like the “elections” in Zimbabwe where the results are known months in advance. No joke.

As long as you make sure your story is the same as His. #CalvinismIsHilarious

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Hehe
      If it weren’t for Facebook I wouldn’t have all this wonderful fodder for consideration each day. If you look closely you’ll see that the Reas aren’t in my friend list. Their post only appeared in my newsfeed because another friend “liked” it. As far as friends go, I figure if someone wants to “unfriend” me simply because they disagree with me or I dare challenge their thinking, well then they must not be very good “friends” worth having in the first place. And if you are going to post something in a public forum for all the world to see, you had better expect it to be able stand scrutiny and be ready to defend it. Actually, it’s really my own devious plan to weed out the undesirables from my friend list without me having to feel guilty for removing them myself.

But in all seriousness, you are right. And I have said the same thing before in another article, that I find it difficult to believe that any of these followers of men come up with any original ideas of their own. Just about everything you read on FB is simply something they read in a book or heard in a sermon on Sunday or learned in seminary. It’s nothing more than regurgitated orthodoxy. If they only stop for one moment to THINK about what they have just posted they should be able to see the irrationality in their statements. Yet this is the same garbage that they proffer as “the gospel”, the same “gospel” that they are supposed to be giving to a lost world (the Reas are missionaries, incidentally). And you really think that any sane, thinking, rational unsaved person is going to buy that?

Just remember history is exactly that – “His” story!
      #WhatWillBeAlreadyIs

2. Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:44 AM

And…this is the very anceint same old song and dance common to mythology.

3. Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Come out from among them and be saved.

• John said, on October 14, 2016 at 11:31 AM

I am praying for that, Paul. People I love are in there, and it hurts my heart (like your behind stings when you accidentally sit on a cluster of thorns). One can’t kidnap them from there, can’t lock them up in a dungeon and “deprogram” them; so pray we must and keep on reminding them of the wonderful, unbiased love of Jesus Christ. And of the gift of salvation through Jesus, who died ONCE, justified us when we accepted His gift, etc.
      Come out from among them. Indeed!

Andy, say what now? The Reas are missionaries? In Geneva?

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Actually I misspoke. I was thinking he was or had been a missionary at some time. Currently, though, he lists himself as the assistant pastor of Grace Bible Church of Menifee, California.

They sure love that word, “grace”, don’t they!

4. Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Having not yet blocked me from commenting, here is his reply to me. I will add this as an addendum above to the article.

• John said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:54 PM

You’ll be blocked before the end of the day. Does he really not understand what he has replied to you? It’s a simple contradiction with immense consequences. Ya, they love the word “grace,” but as with all things Calvinist/Reformed, it simply does not have the biblical meaning. Oh, and there’s always a California link somewhere (Satan’s earthly home state is calif., his home town being LA, of course).
      Your reply to your soon-to-be-blocked-bragbook page was good, Andy.

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 14, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Their entire metaphysical and epistemological construct is based on contradiction. So yes, his answer for his contradiction is, surprise, yet another contradiction!

• Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Well, there you have it folks in a nutshell. What Andy is saying is logical, but not biblical. To be biblical is to know that you can’t know. Sooooo basically, we can’t know anything and are at the mercy of God’s appointed knowers becuse they say they are apponted and proof that you are saved is that you know that they are the knowers even though we can’t know.

5. Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM

What possible value is the Bible to the laity from this perspective? In fact go to any evangelical church in our day, you just have no need to refer to your Bible at all during the preaching or teaching. This was a trend long before I left the church. The text would be read followed by a “gospel application.” It’s a narrative application versus a grammatical interpretation.

6. Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 17, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Eric Rea wrote another reply late Friday afternoon, and he also copied that comment to the post for this article. Being out of town over the weekend, I was unable to reply until now. So I have included recent screen shots above.