This Is What Happens When You Challenge a Calvinist

Posted in Uncategorized by Andy Young, PPT contributing editor on September 27, 2016

What follows is an exchange I had with a former Facebook “friend”.  This conversation went the way every conversation goes with those who hold to Reformed/Calvinist theology.  Take note of the following:

1. An appeal to authority over reason
  2. “Ad hominem” attacks versus rational discussion
  3. The equivocation of orthodoxy with the “gospel”

The irony is that while Jason references “religious control freaks” in his post, he engages in the same kind of behavior.

Protestant orthodoxy is rooted in the same metaphysical premise as Platonism.  You will never win a debate with a Calvinist because he begins with different assumptions about man and about reality.  All his interpretive conclusions are based on these assumptions.  The only thing you can do is expose the false teaching and faulty reasoning and allow others to come to their own conclusions.

I think the exchange below speaks for itself.
– Andy

01-jason-peeler-comment

02-jason-peeler-comment

03-jason-peeler-comment

04-jason-peeler-comment

05-jason-peeler-comment

1. John said, on September 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM

May I propose that Calvinism/Reformed “theology” is one huge loveless, brainwashing machine? The following is said/implied by your former Facebook “friend” Jason, and this is typical of every Calvinist I’ve ever encountered. Andy, you are not a child of God because you are not in a local church and therefore you are not under the “authority” of the local church, the so-called “bride.” (Isn’t the New Jerusalem the bride?) Yes, and then there’s the elders’ “godly counsel,” which you are NOT getting. And, of course, the ever-present “idols” (that, obviously, stems from the godless ACBC or something similar.) Idols? Start with MacArthur, Sproul, Calvin, Luther, Augustine, Pink, Edwards, and those idols…

I don’t even blink when I state that Jason’s talk is 100% that of one that is in a cult. And I don’t mean it in a insulting way, as I know that (most of) those in cults don’t realize they are in one, not even while others around them are dying of the poison they are being made to drink. We should not underestimate Satan, the father of lies and deception. Really, the new birth, the born-again, one-time event that Jesus himself spoke of in John 3, means absolutely nothing to Jason and other Calvinists. That is so sad, akin to their perversion of Jesus’ death on the cross being ONLY for the precious few.

What will it take for Jason and all the others in that movement to wake up to the delusion? How many more sex scandals? How many more spiritual/sexual abuse cases? How many more lies? How many more forms of control? How many more “home invasions”? I don’t know, but I do care about those souls!

The interpretations of men are indeed a huge stumbling block to seeing the truth, simple as that. And Calvinism is rotten, from the top down, and keeping souls from Heaven. It is, sadly, a disgrace.

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on September 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Truly sad, indeed. Like you, my heart grieves for them.

Andy

2. John said, on September 27, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I have seen this quote about Calvinism, “Calvinism is going to down-grade into a feeling-oriented social gospel that drifts into liberalism.”
    Uh-huh, that and more. Fascism, anyone? Or totalitarianism?

3. Kenneth Knight said, on October 7, 2016 at 3:44 AM

I’d like to read the whole conversation thread instead of cuts of specific parts of this conversation. I went back on facebook to read through this and couldn’t find it. Show the conversation as a whole instead of just cutting and pasting specific parts. It isn’t fair to either side of a debate if you pick and chose your counter arguments and don’t show theirs.

• Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 7, 2016 at 5:23 AM

The only part I need to see is where this Jason Peeler guy equates church membership with salvation. And that means, in his own words, submitting to the authority of men. So much for the Bereans and Paul’s “follow me as I follow Christ.”

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 7, 2016 at 6:30 AM

Kenneth,
      The reason you cannot find the Facebook post, is because Jason, just like every other cowardly Calvinist bully, deleted everything, because his arguments cannot stand up to scrutiny and he does not want the world to see his orthodoxy challenged. This is the reason I ALWAYS do screen captures of every discussion I have like this. So I can guarantee you, what I have provided here is the entire conversation! You will notice, that Jason offered NO counter arguments, just a pathetic attempt to marginalize me and spew names and accusations. That’s what usually happens when you have presented someone with an argument that they cannot refute. Rather than address my argument, he attacked me.

Ironically, Kenneth, to some extent you have done the exact same thing. Rather than address the issue directly and present any objective counter-argument of your own, you instead seek to question the integrity of the conversation as it is presented in this article. This makes you no better than Jason. Thank you for so obligingly providing us with yet another perfect example that supports the very premise of this article!

Now if Jason thinks his conversation is misrepresented (which I don’t see how it can be since I have provided the entire thread for everybody’s consideration) I heartily invite him to come share his side of the story. But I seriously doubt he will since he has already stated that he is not going to waste his time with a “scoffer” such as I.

4. Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 7, 2016 at 5:31 AM

Who thinks for one second that this Peeler guy would not have someone who is “heterodox” burned at the stake if American jurisprudence allowed it?