Once Justified, Perfectly Justified – For Those Who Claim a Believer Can Lose His Salvation or Become Unjustified

Posted in Uncategorized by pptmoderator on February 1, 2015

From Alex A. Guggenheim of The Pedestrian Christian:

Introduction

I often wonder if those who assert a believer in Christ as Savior – someone who has been justified– take the time to examine exactly what they are claiming with regard to all we receive in our salvation. Many of the dismissals in adjudicating that we can lose our salvation are absent of the due diligence inherently necessary for such arguments pertaining to how all which is consummated the moment we believe and are saved, is terminated when we, somehow, have our eternal life vanquished, only to be rehabilitated when one returns to salvation, possibly many times (some say this is accomplished through repentance and absolution and others through getting “saved again” or re-believing and so on, there is a myriad of theological formulas for the reconstitution of one’s salvation out there). Read more

1. […] Once Justified, Perfectly Justified – For those who claim a Believer can lose his Salvation or bec… and the post that it links to argue for OSAS, yet again. […]

2. paulspassingthoughts said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

You confuse gift with reward. Justification is a gift and sanctification is for reward. You can’t run in a race that is already finished. You also confuse salvation and redemption.

3. paulspassingthoughts said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I think I need to clear my schedule and address these passages indepth that seem to say on the surface that justification is a race we run for the reward of salvation. Or, that repentance reapplies the blood of Christ to the sins we commit in sanctifcation. That’s what is being said.

4. paulspassingthoughts said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM

The moderator sees all of these comments so I say this for her benefit as well. David has been warned repeatedly about making these discussions personal. It will be necessary for David to formally and publically apologize to Alex before any of his comments will be posted again. Alex is a valued friend of this ministry and we are hardly going to take that kind of rhetoric with a grain of salt.

5. Pearl, PPT Moderator said, on February 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I paused long before I published David’s 1st comment calling Alex a “braying jackass”, deciding to let his tone speak for itself. I fumed over his mean spirit well into this morning, even considering calling attention to his past shots against Jews & homosexuals, but refrained. I’m particularly sensitive to maintaining PPT’s policy of celebrating free speech, challenging orthodoxy and offering up new ideas, but David seems to thrive on flinging insults, which Paul has continually faced with thoughtful patience, restraint and even humor. As this post comes from another blogger, and is therefore our “guest” so to speak, I apologize to Alex for allowing David to bare his fangs and howl at the moon once again.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on February 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Well said, no need to add to it.

6. alexguggenheim said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Paul

Thanks for posting the essay. I have to confess that I well may be a braying jackass however, that still leaves the exegetical and theological work of the essay, standing. Those protesting do so, not in pointing to the failure of my exegesis and content but outside of it, as if the clouds above cannot be because it’s sunny in Brazil.
    AG