“Altruism” a Definition from the Ayn Rand Lexicon

Posted in Uncategorized by Paul M. Dohse Sr. on August 27, 2014

What is the moral code of altruism? The basic principle of altruism is that man has no right to exist for his own sake, that service to others is the only justification of his existence, and that self-sacrifice is his highest moral duty, virtue and value.

Do not confuse altruism with kindness, good will or respect for the rights of others. These are not primaries, but consequences, which, in fact, altruism makes impossible. The irreducible primary of altruism, the basic absolute, is self-sacrifice—which means; self-immolation, self-abnegation, self-denial, self-destruction—which means: the self as a standard of evil, the selfless as a standard of the good.

Do not hide behind such superficialities as whether you should or should not give a dime to a beggar. That is not the issue. The issue is whether you do or do not have the right to exist without giving him that dime. The issue is whether you must keep buying your life, dime by dime, from any beggar who might choose to approach you. The issue is whether the need of others is the first mortgage on your life and the moral purpose of your existence. The issue is whether man is to be regarded as a sacrificial animal. Any man of self-esteem will answer: “No.” Altruism says: “Yes.”

1. Andy said, on August 27, 2014 at 8:14 AM

This is the very reason why I find the viral nature of the ALS “ice bucket challenge” so offensive. Aside from the fact that it sets up an either/or construct, the very premise is that you are “expected” to show some sort of altruism by being coerced to dump ice water over your head or pay up. This is really no different than the kids on the playground in the winter time daring you to lick the flag pole. You wouldn’t pass up a dare, right? Sorry, I’m my own person, and I really don’t care if you think less of me if I choose option 3: do neither!

2. Faith said, on August 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

That is a great observation Andy! It is amazing when we start to really research words and their meanings how often we take them for granted. This is how radicals (on both sides right or left), propagandists, etc.. can take words and completely change and distort the meaning and use them to brainwash. I am guilty of following some distortions myself- and yes, even the one you just mentioned above (howbeit not for the reasons of guilt but just for the fun of it).

Pearl have not read Atlas Shrugged yet, but would like to (have to read Blight in the Vineyard first -lol wink to John ). Tell me if it was worth the read.

3. trust4himonly said, on August 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I am also finding it a struggle to really converse with people these days after knowing the “truth about our Protestant heritage”. Some of the heritage I find still valuable, but the doctrine behind it, for the most part, is faulty. So talking with other Christians about this is hard and falls on deaf ears.

4. paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I often get asked how we should begin to address this mammoth problem. Bingo, right under my nose the whole time, or at least one way: 7questions.org and the Cross Conference confrontation project. May I be bold enough to suggest that you CAN do something big time. Join us in Indy, or donate to the cause, AND, start your own home fellowship. Actually, that’s two things that you can do! When others see your freedom, and look back on the culture of death they swim in, don’t worry–it will happen–you will be used of God to set the captives free.

5. paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM

…oh, and by the way, the “7 Questions” pamphlet is free!

6. paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yet another way is to invite people over for a live showing of TANC 2015 with a discussion afterward. The theme is “Challenging Presuppositions of the American Church” That’s 3. We ain’t alone or powerless. And, #4 is the ace: TRUTH SANCTIFIES.

7. paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Also, of late, I am just getting creamed with emails from people who get it. How many matches does it take to set a forest on fire? Not many.

8. Andy said, on August 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Time to get a moderator for your e-mail! 🙂

• paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I really want to make use of what people send me–Gnostic weekly is the ticket.

9. Faith said, on August 27, 2014 at 1:58 PM

But Paul and Pearl what do you do about those who don’t know anything about Calvin or Luther but yet are doused in Calvinist doctrine? this is like talking to a Mormon who has no clue about Joseph Smith except for the fact of his brand name; they think they know Jesus Christ. I mean I was influenced by Calvin but yet had no clue what Calvin even taught specifically. All I knew was that the Reformers were the “good” guys and the Catholic Church was the Anti-Christ. I think most are enveloped in a mish mash of free will and determinism; and actually schizophrenic in their Christian doctrine. How do you wade through all that and come out to where we are now? Also, I feel that many Christians (including family of mine) think that getting away from the “church” will lead to alienation from God or sinful behavior (that was my mindset for awhile when I was deciding to leave).

As far as, doing the home church thing we are doing just that but only my family. We talk to others about what we do and there seems to be some interest, especially among the men. Men (in my opinion, could be wrong) get tired of the myriad amount of busyness and constant nagging that goes on in the church? Am I right on this? Wish I could get up there to Indy- one of these days Paul. As far as donating, thats well worth it and getting your 7 question pamphlets, especially if engaging those that are true die hard Calvinists.

Pearl, I did not do the challenge but my son did. I can’t handle ice cold water (fibromyalgia kicks in).
    The challenge though is great when others are putting the peer pressure upon you especially for a 13 year old. I should have thought about it and talked with him about doing things just because others feel it is the “RIGHT” action or word (=’s Moral ambiguity; Claiming that doing the ALS challenge is an ethical or moral thing to do)

• paulspassingthoughts said, on August 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

use their own labels against them. Look for labels they identify with, and challenge the labels. In regard to people disillusioned, get it into their heads that people do what they do from logic–ALL behavior is logic-driven. Then show them the logic.

10. trust4himonly said, on August 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM

By the way Paul, looking forward to the Gnostic weekly.