NO Authority Poster

Posted in Uncategorized by Paul M. Dohse Sr. on February 12, 2014

1. A Mom said, on February 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

“The reality is I believe every true child of God is a priest before him and has the authority of the Scriptures available to him/her. What I don’t believe is that every believer is as clear headed as every other believer. I have known some godly people who could scarcely hold two thoughts in their heads at the same time. Such people are fine fellow pilgrims, but I don’t want them teaching me theology. Be careful that in your feverish attempt to thwart authoritarianism you don’t deny the diversity of gifts in Christ’s body.” Randy

You say every Christian has “authority of Scripture”, which you explain means they are allowed to read the Bible. You substitute allow with authority (word game). Then you clarify further, by saying those with head knowledge meet the criteria for teaching. Then you link authoritarianism to gifts to teaching to head knowledge. It reminds me of the Russian dolls. Believers are priests in their own Bible-reading shells. But teachers are higher priests in the largest shells (they have farther-reaching authority), & the Bible-reading believers stack into the teacher shells. It’s a shell game.

You explain what you believe by telling me to be careful in my attempt to thwart authoritarianism (you don’t mean allow here – you are back to what we both agree authority means). Everyone, see the word game?

Randy, I know of some pastors/teachers that have what you define as a “clear head” and can teach the theology you claim to believe quite well. These same “clear-headed” people act (make choices) worse than unbelievers, IMO. They absolutely believe they have spiritual authority over others. Are any of the men pictured on this post your leaders?

• paulspassingthoughts said, on February 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Yep, that’s why I can’t stomach the guy–everything that comes out of his mouth is just part of a word game.

2. Ryan said, on February 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Paul et al, I think this thread has struck a nerve because many of us, including myself are sick and tired of men like Randy lording it over others. And the New Calvinist movement and many Calvinists are the ones that we see doing this. I’ve never encountered the kind of pride, condescention, sanctimoniousness and arrogance that I’ve seen among those in the New Calvinist movement. I’ve talked to Mormons, Word of Faith devotees and Jehovah’s Witnesses and encountered freindlier conversations, even when I bring up some major doctrinal differences. But it is Calvinists that bring out the lash of my tongue and I don’t hold back.

I’m also extremely angry becuase nowadays I’m encountering among Calvinists that the idea that I can’t be a Baptist and be against Calvinism, or that I can’t be considered an evangelical or even politically conservative if I’m against Calvinism. And I’m encountering this here in Canada, where you wouldn’t think that New Calvinism would be a particular problem.

Even though I disagree with David Brainerd about the Apostle Paul, he makes an excellent point that Calvinism needs to be squashed. Calvinism is just as serious a heresy an Arianism was back in the days when it was popular. Paul Dohse is the Athanasius of our day. Calvinism is a cancer, and the bride of Chirst is in a serious need of an operation.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on February 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

“Athanasius Against the World” is indeed what it would feel like if not for the encouraging emails we have received of late. Thanks for them everyone.

3. Ryan said, on February 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Thanks Paul, I’ll have more to say on this thread later about narcissism and authority. Back to work! :o)

4. A Mom said, on February 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Ryan, I hear you & agree. You’ve made excellent observations.

Everyone,
    Hailers of spiritual authority can be very deceptive. So deceptive they play word games & invent new, kinder/nicer sounding words to convince:

kinism for racism
    complementarianism for patriarchy
    equal but different in roles/responsibilities
    all are equal priests but “only some have spiritual authority over others” type of different (LOL)
    a teacher, by definition, has spiritual authority over overs
    teaching is a gift, therefore spiritual authority over others is a gift (LOL)
    free will is really God making someone believe, it’s not a choice
    ESS (Eternal Submission of Son to Father) for Jesus is a lesser, separate god

These beliefs will ALWAYS be found in a system based on control, role & hierarchy.

You will not find these beliefs among people who don’t believe in spiritual control over/under another.

Instead, you will be encouraged to think for yourself, study hard & decide for yourself. You are ultimately responsible for your decisions. Your decisions matter. Make good ones. You don’t need someone to make spiritual decisions for you. You are capable.

5. A Mom said, on February 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Randy said about Argo, “Suffice it to say that I regard him and all his incoherent babbling as insanity.”

Then Randy said, “The short answer is God’s law is love God and your neighbor. …Most of the requirements of the old covenant are repeated in the NT Scriptures as the law of Christ.” Notice Randy doesn’t practice what he preaches/teaches. He seems separated from God’s law, well unless he interprets neighbor as believer. Typical in his religion. He loves who he decides are believers. Forget good Samaritan parable(taught by Jesus) is in the Bible.

Argo said, “I think Randy is stupid.” I believe it was typed in the heat of the moment, in frustration.

Argo then says, without prompting “Randy, I don’t guess you will think this genuine, but I apologize for calling you stupid. That was wrong of me…and not indicative of the kind of person I am trying to be.” Classy, teaching by example.

Please check, has Randy apologized for calling Argo insane? No. It was not typed in the heat of the moment, but was a calculated strategic move, IMO. Randy truly wants you to think Argo’s idea that ALL human life is valuable is insane. Randy absolutely wants you to think Argo is insane AKA totally depraved AKA unelect. Anyone who disagrees with Randy gets lumped into this dismissive “ain’t justified, ain’t enlightened” category. That’s really what Randy was saying to begin with. And it disgusted me from the start.

So I later said, “I don’t think Randy is stupid.” Stupid is kind, it gives Randy the benefit of the doubt. I have no doubt Randy knows exactly what he is doing. My comment is an indictment of Randy. I’d rather be stupid any day than do what Randy does on purpose. Randy is not innocent.

Does Randy himself follow/act on/submit to what he calls “the law of Christ”? What does Randy’s “clear headed” theology lead him to actually do? I’d enjoy Randy’s described “godly people who could scarcely hold two thoughts in their heads at the same time AKA fine fellow pilgrims” over Randy any day of the week. I say there’s nothing better than to fellowship with godly people who are fine fellow pilgrims.

6. A Mom said, on February 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Has anyone commented on GR Randy’s blog with a link to this comment thread? Interested, Paul? I think Randy’s fine fellow pilgrims & Christ-like friends need to know what he writes of them. Randy’s not the guy he wants everyone to think he his, IMO. Smart can sometimes be empty, & sound like a loveless gong amounting to nothing in the end (1 Cor 13).

I doubt he’ll allow the link. More control. Damage control on his part. As I said, it all comes down to control & authority. I’d love to be wrong on this one, though. It’s time to change, Randy. You can choose to follow Argo’s example if you want to (no submission to authority required).

7. Matthew Perri said, on March 30, 2014 at 11:55 PM

BOSS PAUL THE PHARISEE
    [sing it to the tune of “Rapture” by Blondie]

I’m Boss Paul, the Pharisee
    My hypocrisy’s plain for the world to see
    I travel the land and travel the sea
    to make a convert who is just like ME

“All have sinned” – we know that’s true
    but it never means ME – it only means YOU
    My sins are all theoretical
    “I’m the worst of sinners”- but don’t ask where

To be more like Jesus is what some strive
    except for me – I’ve already arrived
    I’m the perfect model since the road to Damascus
    What were Paul’s sins? Don’t ask us!

I justify everything I do
    If I testify about myself it MUST be true
    I’m the only man in all history
    whose testimony doesn’t need two or three

If I did something it MUST be right
    Don’t use the Scripture to shed any light
    Don’t do as I say, do as I do
    and then you can be a Pharisee too.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on March 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Matthew,

I think you are full of it, but yet, this is a view I see popping up on PPT now and then. Is this some kind of Jesus/Synoptic Gospels only thing? What do we have here? Is it a new movement/trend? Is there a recognized fellowship? Always looking to educate my readers.

8. Matthew Perri said, on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your response. Most “Bible-believing Christians” today are really not following Jesus, they are following Paul. Here is more material to prove this point.

Which is the most important?
    Jesus was asked twice, by two different men, the same basic question about which is the most important or greatest commandment in the Law. Here is how Jesus answered that question:

#1
    “One of the teachers of the law… asked him [Jesus],
    ‘Of all the commandments, which is the most important?’

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “ is this: ‘Hear, of Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than THESE.” [Mark 12:28-31, Deuteronomy 6:4-5, Leviticus 19:18]

#2
    …an expert in the law, tested him [Jesus] with this question: ‘Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’”

Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these TWO commandments.” [Matthew 22:36-40, Deuteronomy 6:5, Leviticus 19:18]

But in contrast with Jesus, Paul the Pharisee didn’t know the greatest, most important, first commandment according to Jesus. Paul made up his own rule. Paul wrote:
    “The entire law is summed up in a SINGLE command: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” [Galatians 5:14, Leviticus 19:18]

And again, Paul wrote:
    “He who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not covet, and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this ONE RULE: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” [Romans 13:8-10, Leviticus 19:18]

Jesus said it’s TWO commandments, with the greatest, most important, first command to
    .1) first, love God with everything you’ve got, and
    .2) second, love people.
    Paul said no, it ONE commandment- to love people.

This is very similar to The Beatles- “All you need is love. Love is all you need. Love, Love, Love.” (In other words, the second commandment, the love of man, without the love of God. Love as me, myself and I define love to be, and continuously redefined by sinful men.)

In essence, it is also the same principle as what Eve did in the Garden of Eden, forgetting about the Tree of Life, which is the first tree in the middle of the Garden, and instead referring to the second tree as “the tree that is in the middle of the garden.” [Genesis 3:3 & 2:9 2:17, 3:24]

Kind of like the Pharisees with Jesus, who were pushing the false idea that we can consider ONE commandment in the Law, alone in isolation, to be “the greatest commandment in the Law.”

Or like today, false teachers in the Chrislam – Purpose Driven – Seeker Sensitive – Emergent – Liberal – Ecumenical – New Age – world church movement pushing the false idea that the ONE RULE is “Loving God and Neighbor together.”

The Lord God Jesus the Jewish Messiah, Son of Yahweh the Most High God of Israel, said:
    “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these TWO commandments.”
    Not one. TWO.

Sometimes, Paul was wrong. Jesus is always right. I’m following Jesus.

Here are answers to 2 common objections:
    .a) What about the so-called “Golden Rule”?
    Jesus spoke the 3 chapters of the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5-7, including 7:12. Jesus didn’t make PART of this one verse out of context into “The Golden Rule” or “one rule.” Jesus did not use the term “Golden Rule,” it’s simply a tradition of men. The sentence begins with “So” in the NIV and Amplified Bibles, and “Therefore’ in the NASB and King James Bibles, which ties 7:12 to the previous sentences. So 7:12 cannot stand alone as One Commandment.

.b) What about the so-called “Great Commission”?
    Jesus spoke the words recorded in Matthew 28:18-20, including “make disciples of all nations.” Jesus never used the term “Great Commission,” it’s simply a tradition of men. Yes I agree it’s a commandment given by Jesus, it’s not optional, and it applies to us today. We need to carry this out, with our own God-given abilities and talents, using the skills, and circumstances we have. But we don’t need to put words in the mouth of Jesus, we can let Jesus speak for himself, and we can listen to Him – and obey Him.

Evangelism is part of the Second Commandment given by Jesus, to Love people. Evangelism is not the most important commandment, and it isn’t the entire Second Commandment. So if our priorities are “The Great Commission and the Great Commandment,” we have our priorities upside down and confused, and we are not listening to the voice of Jesus. Never mind what Paul said. Let’s listen to the voice of Jesus first, and get our priorities straight.

The people who will protest most loudly against this truth are the modern “Pauls:” traveling evangelists, speakers, writers, abusive absentee mega-church pastors, Crusaders, and self-appointed “apostles” like Paul, who find it “profitable” to “be like Paul” rather than follow Jesus the Jewish Messiah.

9. Matthew Perri said, on April 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM

This is related to the issue of “authority”.

Parable of the 12 heavenly chalkboards

What is a common analogy for a permanent decision?
    “Written in stone.”
    What could be more permanent than that?
    How about written in stone in heaven (in other words, for eternity.)
    And what kind of a stone is the most solid, permanent, and unchangeable?
    Perhaps a foundation stone?

The Book of Revelation written by the Apostle John, chapter 21 verse 14 says… “The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostle of the Lamb.”
    Nothing about a “13th Apostle” or an “Apostle of the Gentiles”…. Hmmmm…..

Parable of the 12 heavenly chalkboards

Imagine “Wackyjesus” in “Wackyheaven”, built on the foundations of 12 chalkboards:

“Matthias, you should have developed your skills in writing and public speaking. Your name never appears in the Bible after your appointment as the 12th Apostle in Acts 1. [erase erase erase]

Actually, the same is true for you Thaddaeus, after you were appointed. You should have hired a PR firm to promote your name and make if famous. [erase erase erase]

Of course, you both are specifically mentioned in Acts 6:2. “So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together.” And this is before Saul/Paul is even mentioned. But let us not confuse the issue with facts. Paul did a much better job of marketing himself, and he wrote about himself hundreds of times. Share of voice equals share of mind. And most Evangelical pastors who read the Bible spend most of their time listening to the voice of Paul, so they become “like Paul.” But I digress…

James, we had a good run. I didn’t think King Herod would knock you off so quickly. [erase erase erase]

Oh well. Wow, they’re dropping like flies. Now I’ve got 3 slots open. I’d better buy a case of chalk and some more erasers. I’ll have to change the names on these 12 chalkboards hundreds of times in the next couple of millennia.

I guess I had better plan ahead, and save a slot for the last Pope, Francis. And the head Mormon Apostle. And I need to save a throne for my mom, or she’ll be mad. And one for Muhammad too. Who needs truth in relationship, when I can quickly get market share, and totally dominate the market, through mergers and acquisitions?

And one throne for that other guy named Peter. When he was younger, he used to have the great theological insight about territorial spirits and wrestling with dark angels. What was his last name? Begins with a consonant. Sounds almost like he was in the personal transportation industry back in “sword and sandal epic” days… “Peter Charioteer?” Maybe not. This isn’t the “fullest” description of him, but it’s full enough. Anyway, I should save a throne for him too.”

So what is the application of this parable?
    Beware of the NAR whale – it’s really a killer whale with a man-made horn strapped on top. The only place in the New Testament that mentions anything like “Seven Mountains” is Revelation 17, “seven hills on which the woman sits.” (The Great Prostitute, that is.) Rome is the city that sits on seven hills, the perfect place for Peter the Roman, the New World Pope for the New World Order, to replace the original Apostle Peter in the apostate church of the Antichrist.

10. Matthew Perri said, on June 10, 2014 at 1:50 AM

“What is an Apostle?”
    Here is the answer based on the original sources:
    The words and actions of Jesus and the Original Apostles in the text of the New Testament.

.1) Gospel of Mark – time lag between being appointed and being sent
    “Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve – designating them apostles – that they might be with him…” [Mark 3:13-14]

Three chapters later,
    “Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village. Calling the Twelve to him, he sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil spirits.” [Mark 6:6-7]

.2) Gospel of Luke – time lag between being appointed and being sent
    “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles: Simon…..” [Luke 6:12-14]

Again three chapters later,
    “When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” [Luke 9:1-2]

.3) Gospel of Matthew – which is organized by theme, not necessarily in chronological order.
    “He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal disease and sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon…” [Matthew 10:1]

Without any clear time reference, continuing on the theme of the Apostles, Matthew does record “These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions…” [Matthew 10:5] Matthew never said that the Apostles were “sent out” immediately after being appointed. If we didn’t also have the clear records in Mark and Luke, it would be a fairly logical assumption that Jesus sent them out right away, but it would still be just an assumption. In this case, that assumption would clearly be wrong. The Twelve Apostles were absolutely NOT sent out right away after being appointed Apostles, according to Mark chapters 3 through 6, and Luke chapters 6 through 9.

So being an Apostle of Jesus involves being sent by Jesus, yes. But that isn’t the only meaning, or even the first and primary meaning. The first thing was “that they might be with Him” personally, together, for His entire earthly ministry, from the time of John the Baptist until Jesus rose to heaven. Jesus poured his life into the 12 Apostles for 3 ½ years very personally training them to be the leaders of the church, and Jesus chose Peter as first among equals.

The NIV translation inserts the heading “Matthias Chosen to Replace Judas” for the passage Luke wrote in Acts 1:12-26]. The NIV headings were not part of the original text, and sometimes they can be misleading, but in this case I believe the heading is right on.

Jesus and the Original Apostles knew what an Apostle is better than anyone else in the world. Why is this a strange idea? Why do so many people frequently attack and tear down and dismiss the Original Apostles, particularly Peter, as if they were all incompetent, stupid, and wrong in so many ways, and they didn’t even know what an “Apostle” was? The answer to that question is, they have been listening to the voice of Paul, rather than the voices of Jesus and the Original Apostles.

As we consider the question “what is an Apostle”, we should carefully listen to the words of the leader that Jesus personally appointed as first among the Apostles, and trained personally for 3 ½ years, Peter.

“It is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.” [Acts 1:21-22]

Neither Paul, nor James, nor Luke were with Jesus and the Apostles the whole time, so they were not qualified to be a “witness with the Apostles of Jesus’ resurrection”, which is what it means to be an Apostle. Matthias was qualified, appointed, and later recognized as part of The Twelve. No one except Judas ever lost his apostleship.

Responding to a question from Peter,
    “Jesus said to them:
    …you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” [Matthew 19:28]

We cannot prove that Judas was present at that time, and we cannot prove that Matthias was absent at that time when Jesus spoke those words. Even if Judas was physically present, as we all realize now, he was not a true follower of Jesus. And even if Matthias was physically absent at that particular occasion, Jesus is still establishing the basic qualification for having one of the twelve thrones as being “you who have followed me,” not someone who will follow Jesus in the future, like Paul, James, Luke or anyone else in the world.

At the Last Supper, Jesus said to His Apostles:
    “You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred on one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” [Luke 22:28-30]

Was Judas present when Jesus spoke those words? Even if someone wants to be argumentative and say we can’t prove that Judas wasn’t there at the time, we certainly can’t prove that Judas WAS there. Judas obviously didn’t stand by Jesus in his trial, as the whole world knows. But that was the requirement Jesus gave to “sit on thrones:” “You are those who have stood by me in my trials.” “You”, speaking to His 11 Apostles who had been walking with Him faithfully for 3 ½ years. Not others in the future who will follow the risen Jesus Christ. Notice that at the Last Supper, when Judas lost his throne and Matthias was definitely absent, Jesus chose to speak of “thrones” rather than “twelve thrones” as he had previously.

The Apostle John recorded about the New Jerusalem,
    “The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.” [Revelation 21:14]

The Apostles are 12 faithful eyewitnesses who walked with Jesus during His entire earthly ministry, and Matthias is the 12th. That’s the short version of my definition of “what is an Apostle.”