Why Does Paul Washer’s Family Stalk People?

Posted in Uncategorized by Paul M. Dohse Sr. on July 16, 2013

gospelgrid11Sanctified Calvinist Joel Taylor was once a member of a Heart Cry (Paul Washer’s missionary society) church plant. Since he left more than a year ago, Washer’s boy-elders have been stalking him and his family. Taylor’s recent, and chilling account can be read here.

By the way, just sayin’, if Paul Washer ever smacks me on the head, it’s on. If any New Calvinist ever lays hands on me, they are in for a really, really big surprise. “Paul! Where in the world did that come from?” I’m not at liberty to say. Let’s just say that my nature is not as passive as some other brethren. And even before I was a Christian I had contempt for bullies.

And Paul Washer is a bully. While presenting himself as a crusader against easy believism and a stalwart of Biblicism, he propagates an egregious false gospel. That’s why he allows his little minions to stalk his detractors; he’s unregenerate. 2 + 2 = 4.

Let me make that case. In Washer’s book, The Gospel Call And True Conversion, one does not even get past the first chapter without taking note of blatant heresies. In chapter one, under  The Essential Characteristics Of Genuine Repentance, and under the element, Renunciation of works, Washer states that the truly righteous person “sees” the impossibility of possessing God’s righteousness and the “unsearchable depths of his own depravity.” Any questions? Under Practical Obedience, if one reads carefully, Washer posits the only logical conclusion to the assertion that Christians are totally depraved; “obedience” is a “manifestation” of Christ’s salvific works progressively imputed to us.

Under Continuing and Deepening Work of Repentance, Washer states that maturity in a Christian life grows as we obtain a deeper and deeper sense of our own brokenness and depravity. But then the grand heresy follows under the same heading that is the last element of repentance in chapter one. Washer asserts that as the Christian becomes more and more aware of his own depravity, visions of God’s grace results in joy. Washer states that the joy equals our brokenness. So, focusing on our depravity, as Christians, leads to seeing God’s grace more and resulting in joy. In essence, and please note this with all vigor, we find joy in our depravity. Of this, Washer states in the same section, “This cycle simply repeats itself throughout the Christian life.”

That’s why my dear Sanctified Calvinist friend—that’s why Washer stands by silently: it’s a totally depraved family tradition.

JCPJ 2

1. Cindy said, on October 15, 2015 at 9:04 PM

I didn’t read Paul Washer’s book mentioned in this article. I just followed what was given in this article. I don’t understand how the conclusion of “we find joy in our depravity” is reached…

To me the message is clearly that until we see our depravity, we don’t know how much God’s Grace is and we don’t have compatible level of joy for it. So as a Christian grows, he/she sees more and more darkness in himself/herself and God’s persistent love despite all that, he/she feels more and more grateful and joyful for the Grace he/she receives. That describes exactly what we see and feel as we grow spiritually.

• Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM

Cindy,

First you say: “I don’t understand how the conclusion of ‘we find joy in our depravity’ is reached…” then you go on to state that we find joy in our depravity; “So as a Christian grows, he/she sees more and more darkness in himself/herself and God’s persistent love despite all that, he/she feels more and more grateful and joyful for the Grace he/she receives.” Thanks for answering your own question. Obviously, a focus on evil results in joy–how is that not delighting in evil?

• Andy Young, PPT contributing editor said, on October 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Cindy,

The first error is in accepting the premise of “depravity”. All manner of wrong conclusions then result from that.
      Secondly, a true Biblical understanding of spiritual maturity is not about dwelling on our supposed “sinfulness” more and more. Instead it is a growing love for God’s law and using it to show more and more love for God and for others. It is in this way that we experience true joy to hear the Father say, “well done thou good and faithful servant!”

2. R said, on October 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM

After reading your blog, I have to say you don’t really understand what Paul Washer was talking about. There are still too much yourself in you. Please be humble before God and please do not make blunt statements for something you don’t really understand!

• Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on October 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM

R,

We have received literally hundreds of comments just like this over the years, which now do not meet the requirements of moderation, but I am compelled to make a reply here. But of course I do not understand Paul Washer because he interprets reality according to historical redemptive metaphysics which you all lie about and say is a hermeneutic. But, in fact I do understand him completely. Note: your definition of humbleness; knowing that we cannot know anything but Christ and Him crucified, that interprets all of reality.

Listen Bubba, because I interpret reality literally/grammatically/exegetically doesn’t mean that I don’t understand your reality according to Plato’s Republic.

You are an arrogant Gnostic dweeb–don’t come back.

3. Aaron S. Hager said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Guys, I REALLY think that you’re reading into this the wrong way. I’m not sure what credibility the author of this topic has, or if we even have access to said credibility, but we’ve got to take some things into account…

I spent a majority of my life believing I was a Christian, simply treating Christ as my “hell insurance” but having no relationship with Him and no evidence of said proclaimed faith. I can earnestly say that it was until the Holy Spirit pointed out to me that I did not fear God (which the beginning of all Wisdom; Proverbs 1) and that I did not know God.

I had to come to terms with how far from God and sinful (depraved) I really was. I mean I was LIVING in sin, 100% no question and had “tried” to stop sinning for a large part of my life. When the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the true state that I was in and enlightened me to the fact that I was not walking the straight and narrow path, but the broad path that leads to destruction, that He brought me to Repentance.

Understanding our depravity and how utterly hopeless we are without Christ’s work and the Father’s Grace is fundamental to our Christian life. Brother Washer can sound harsh, but he means well and teaches the true Gospel of faith and Repentance. I urge you, read 1 and 2 Timothy, two of the Apostle Paul’s last letters. Read how he viewed himself, being even more mature in the faith. How he considers himself the chief of sinners and recounts to his testimony. He was comparable to modern day ISIS and God was gracious to save him.

Be blessed, brothers and sisters and do not be quick to believe what people might have to say about a brother or sister in the faith. Discern righteously. Again, God bless you all. If you are unsure, you have but to pray and ask Our Lord on this matter. He who seeks, finds. Grace and peace be with you.

• Paul M. Dohse Sr. said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Aaron,

If you are still depraved, and Christ’s work is a substitution for your love and good works as a child of God lest you have, “a righteousness of your own,” and still need God’s “grace,” ie, salvation, then like Paul Washer, who also believes in double imputation which denies the biblical definition of new birth–you are not yet saved. Note that you say a present understanding of your own depravity, and Christ being a substitution for your own works in sanctification, and a continued need for grace (salvation) is “fundamental to our Christian life.” That’s a false gospel.