Politics and Religion Have the Same Soul

Posted in Uncategorized by Paul M. Dohse Sr. on September 27, 2012

When I didn’t know any better as a Christian, I was indifferent to politics because it made no sense to me. My problem was the following: I was always focused on outcomes. It never made any sense to me that regardless of outcomes, people would vote the same ideologues into office time and time again. In my frustration I would think, “Politics are a waste of time because people are stupid. Regardless of outcomes, they vote these same people into office time and time again.” This made absolutely no sense to me.

Until recently, church never made any sense to me either. Consider this picture: vast institutions pregnant with ultra-educated people coming up with ideas that plainly contrast Scripture. Again, regardless of the poor outcomes, the SYSTEM remains intact. The system seems to offer a devil that we know, and have become comfortable with, as opposed to a devil that we don’t know.

If you think about it, what is the difference between contemporary Christianity and the slave caste system of the Civil War era?  To stand up against injustice is really the same thing as challenging the system. Action is stalled because people hope that the system will change (good luck with that)—that’s easy, changing the system is hard. However, we will fight harder to not change the system, as opposed to changing the system because it’s what we know. Hence, the system takes precedent over God’s justice and is protected by political spin dressed in biblical garb.

But people aren’t stupid, they just prefer whatever the normal is for the day—especially if they aren’t the ones being tied between two horses running in opposite directions. Pathetic, but it is what it is. And both politics and religion are kept alive by the same heart in this regard; the epic question of, “Who owns man?” Ownership is the soul of politics and religion.

Since the day that the framers of the American Constitution posed this question and answered it with the resolve of “Give me liberty or give me death,” be sure of this: the question of who owns man is the soul of American politics and always will be. Whether the American public realizes it or not, those who vote for Obama think government owns man. People who vote for Romney (albeit not their preferred choice) believe that we own ourselves, and are responsible to no other than God for the sum and substance of our life.

That’s the crux, until the day that the former wins the day—then politics will not be necessary because everything is decided in regard to the arena of ideas—there won’t be any arena—the government decides what a good idea is, and what it isn’t.

And religion is no different. That’s because the American framers of the Constitution were home wreckers. They caused the divorce between the European marriage of church and state. In Europe prior to the Enlightenment era that gave birth to the framers; as it was in the government, so it was in the church. There was no arena of ideas save the think tanks that devised efficient machines to eliminate free thinkers with as much pain as possible. Never before in human history has more science been poured into the technology of death machines than in Medieval Europe. And as part of the totally depraved masses, suggesting ideas privately or otherwise was extremely hazardous to one’s health.

It was a very efficient marriage. The church came up with the ideas and controlled them, and the government enforced the churches’ ideas. But there was a problem. The problem can be seen in one Bible verse among God’s full philosophical statement to man regarding truth: “Come, let us reason together saith the Lord.”

Reason. Even God presents His truth in an arena for man’s hearing. In the book of Job, we even find God challenging Satan in that arena. Like no other creatures, we are the ones called to reason—it is how we are wired by God. The results of shutting down man’s ability to think are abundantly evident from European history. Man is created to think. A man who is not allowed to think is exactly like a fish out of water. Eventually, he will start flopping around.

The framers understood this. They knew that any attempt by government to control ideas would only result in a repeat of European history. They also knew that religion is the fundamental gene pool in that regard. But systems die hard. Regardless of the eight-hundred-year European raging fire that could not be extinguished with blood, European religious tyrants who came to setup shop in America could only propagate their system in the government protected American-made arena of ideas.

The divorced couple must play by American rules thus far. In the American political system, it’s communism/socialism. In the religious realm, it’s European Reformed theology. The fight between the Europeans and the yanks continues in the arena of ideas instead of the battlefield. But be also certain of this: every drop of blood spilled in human history has been over ideas. The American framers of the Constitution, for the first time in history, invented a caste system that could implement ethics through politics without blood. Preferable in my book. And I am allowed to say so.

The soul of politics and religion is therefore the same. Who owns man? What could be more obvious? Does government own man? Or does man own man? It could be rightfully argued that God owns man, but even he says, “Come, let us reason together” while the European Reformer Martin Luther called reason a “whore” who should have “dung rubbed in her face to make her ugly.” The separated spouse, government, thinks they know best as well. Thinking, ideas, and reason, in the hands of the masses are supposedly the same as handing an eight-year-old a loaded gun as a play toy. And in the American arena of ideas, many are convinced that this is true.

Now you know the heart of the election that is now upon us. Obama has clearly stated that it is common sense that man exists for the government, and doesn’t build anything: “I hear business owners say, ‘I built this or that.’ You didn’t build that.” And obviously, the idea that led to the building project had nothing to do with it as well. The contrast can be pointed out in a recent speech by Romney at the Dayton, Ohio International airport in which he said that FREEDOM of IDEAS are critical to the overall American economy and wellbeing. It is also reflected in his recent bemoaning that 47% of Americans are dependent on the government and will not vote for him. Right. Exactly. That’s the crux: who owns man? And is he created to reason and think? And is it ok with God when man’s ideas produce positive outcomes?

What is at stake in this election?  You only need to look at the governments estranged spouse—the church. For the most part, European Reformed theology has won out in the arena of ideas. The caste system formed by the Westminster Confession and rabid Puritans has been embraced willingly by those convinced that the church owns them. Sure, there is rape. Sure, there is the denial of ideas. Sure, there is injustice. Sure, there are no other answers but “the gospel.” Sure, we are still totally depraved and helpless. Sure, church is boring. Sure, the church is full of mindless followers. But what else is there? If not for the system, then what? If not for the system of Reformed “orthodoxy” enforced by church “polity” and executed by various and sundry unpleasantries that replaced the burning stake forbidden by our American forefathers, then what?

Ownership by government always leads to the same thing. Always. There are no exceptions. Regardless of outcomes, many American voters who like to be owned by their religion will also vote to be owned by the state. I also wonder how much this might be connected to the whole issue of culpability before God. After all, if we are unable to think for ourselves, and our ideas are dangerous to our own wellbeing, how can God hold us responsible? This provokes one to think of Nazi Germany and that people’s refrain, “The government made us do it.”

“One thing we don’t discuss in mixed company is politics and religion.” Right, because there is no doubt; that divorced couple is a volatile subject, especially when the two are poligion. We do know the devil of poligion, but change is hard and inconvenient. Luther suggested that reason be consigned to the “closets of the house” and we have obeyed. And whatever you do, don’t look in the closet—the monster of history is in there.

Nevertheless, when you pull the lever in November, the question isn’t, “Romney or Obama?” The real question is the soul of politics and religion: “Who owns you?”

1. paulspassingthoughts said, on September 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Reblogged this on The Oligarchy White Paper.

2. Heather Ingram said, on September 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Great article!!! Classic Paul Dohse line: “Politics are a waste of time because people are stupid….” lol I laughed so hard!
    We won’t be voting for either, we’re writing in Ron Paul, thankfully even though “they” make the public feel pushed into making a choice between two people you could write down Bozo the Clown if you felt like it.
    So, again, excellent article, thanks for writing it!

3. […] Politics and Religion Have the Same Soul. […]

4. Argo said, on September 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

My concern is that every Calvinist I know-I might even say without exception-votes Republican. It would seem clear that these control despots feel this is the path to victory for their strange religion. I agree with Enligtenment thought, but neither Marx or Calvin agrees. Do you think it’s time for a third party?

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Argo,
      Not a third party, but a laity uprising in religion. A religious Boston tea party. A religious declaration of independence. Today’s church is noting but Marxism dressed in biblical garb. Due to the moral aspect and lack of fundamental understanding, many Calvinists are Republicans, or at least say they are. However, the likes of Al Mohler and many others have strong socialist leanings.

5. lydiasellerofpurple said, on September 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Paul, Have you ever read about the Milgram Experiment? We are seeing it played out in Politics and Reglion. We have 80 years of socialistic teaching in education and it has done nothing but produce lemmings wanting security from political and religious leaders.

Look at the videos on this post about the Milgram study.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Lydia,
      I will check it out.

6. Argo said, on September 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Would you say Marxist though? As opposed to theocratic fascism? Marxism is atheistic, with at least a philosophical nod to the “people”. Calvinism seems to me to have more in common with fascist totalitarianism in that private property and religion are cool, as long as the fundamental existence of the individual is deferential and subservient to the national “identity”, and leaders, not the people, are the objects of political worship. This seems to have more in common with extreme right wing thought, which is why I think Calvinists look to the republicans as opposed to the Marxist overtones of liberal philosophy. I think real doctrinally based Calvinists are Republicans for reasons much deeper than ignorance. Orthodoxy=tradition=national identity=theocracy=functional Christian facism. But that’s just my read.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 28, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Argo,
      ….And I think it has merit. True, the Republican “Religious Right” must be considered here. They would be totally in the tank for legislating morality through a theocracy. In fact, I think they teach that America was originally founded as a theocracy. Not.

7. Argo said, on September 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

By the way…and I honestly am not making this up, but two weeks ago I discovered that John Locke (the Philosopher) is my first cousin.

The John Locke who is listed as a member of the original Tea Party (you can google the list) was my great, great…whatever many…grandfather. From that I was able to trace his lineage back to William Locke, John Locke’s father’s brother. I thought it was a pretty cool find given my burgeoning interest in Philosophy which started about a year ago.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Cool

8. trust4himonly said, on September 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I feel that the church has been infiltrated with leftists for awhile. They have been deceptive though in the church under the guise of “social justice”- just take a look at Jim Jones. He portrayed himself as a fundamental preacher, !but was a socialist in papist garb; even gave money to the Russian communists regularly. Once we get back to simplicity of the Gospel we are able to discern these jokers- they have no hold on us because we know that works have no place in salvation- zero!! Christians need to throw their piper ( who I also suspect to be deceptive man in socialist garb- who by the way does not care for Israel), David Platt, Francis Chan social justice garbage out the window. I already have a friend who went through Platts Radical and they now left the church they had been going to. I think many in the church still tend to hold to conservative values but they are being bombarded with guilt and a shame that they are free Americans with more than others- yes Piper runs around all these social justice types. Don’t be fooled to think that they are conservatives- not a chance. They are there take over with their socialistic Calvinism.

9. Argo said, on September 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Trust,
    You could be right. I haven’t paid much attention to the political leanings of the Calvinist leadership. Mostly just speaking of the people I am acquainted with in my circle. And I have no doubt that they certainly accept that the reason you exist is to serve the “collective” good. I just wonder if it’s Marxism or something else. Again, I sense facism when I really think through it…but maybe it’s not even that. Whatever it is, the functional premise of putting to death the “sinful nature” clearly involves the death of the individual. So gross.

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Argo and Trust,

It’s both. But the whole Marxist collective good of the group verses evil individualism is DEFINITELY VERY prevalent in New Calvinist circles. I have the transcribed sermons to prove it.

10. Argo said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

What do you think of Romney’s Mormonism insofar as it might relate to how he might lead?

• paulspassingthoughts said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Argo,
      His politics are correct: freedom of ideas and the ability to implement them. He thinks government ownership of the individual is a bad idea. That is what I am basing my vote on.